An internet-based platform called ‘VIHANGAM’ integrated with a Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS) at Mahanadi Coalfields Limited (MCL) was inaugurated.
Mahanadi Coalfields Limited:
- It is one of the major coal producing companies of India. It is one of the eight subsidiaries of Coal India Limited.
- MCL was the first coal company to introduce environment-friendly Surface Mining technology in 1999.
- The biggest fleet of 66 Surface Miners is contributing 95%of the total coal production of the company.
- The system consists of a Ground Control Station (GCS), an RPAS, internet lease line of 40 Mbps and VIHANGAM portal.
- The system enables real-time transmission of aerial video of mining activities from mines to internet platforms which can be accessed through VIHANGAM portal by authorized personnel only having ID and password.
Remotely Piloted Aircraft System (RPAS):
- RPAS is one subset of the Unmanned Aircraft System (UAS).
- There are three subsets of Unmanned Aircraft- Remotely Piloted Aircraft, Autonomous Aircraft and Model Aircraft.
- Drone is a layman terminology for Unmanned Aircraft (UA).
- Remotely piloted aircraft have been divided into five categories based on their weight (existing rules).
- Nano : Less than or equal to 250 grams.
- Micro : From 250 grams to 2kg.
- Small : From 2 kg to 25kg.
- Medium : From 25kg to 150kg.
- Large : Greater than 150kg
- Remotely Piloted Aircraft consists of remote pilot station(s), the required command and control links and any other components, as specified in the type design.