World Sparrow Day:
Every year March 20 is observed as World Sparrow Day to raise awareness about the bird.
- The first World Sparrow Day was celebrated in 2010 in different parts of the world.
- The theme for this year is “Monitor the Sparrows & other common birds”.
- World Sparrow Day is an initiative of the Nature Forever Society, which is a non-government organisation (NGO) run by Mohammed Dilawar, who’s an internationally acclaimed conservationist.
- Sparrow is a very social bird and is gregarious at all seasons when feeding, often forming flocks with other types of bird.
- House sparrows are becoming extinct everywhere, including in India.
- Experts say there’s a need to spread awareness on their conservation.