FIFA World Cup 2022:
Argentina won its third World Cup title by beating France 4-2 in a penalty shootout.
- Official Mascot: La’eeb was the Official Mascot for FIFA WC 2022. ‘La’eeb’ in Arabic translates to ‘super-skilled player’.
- FIFA announced a number of awards to recognize the great performance of players throughout the WC including
- Golden Boot (Most number of Goals) – Kylian Mbappe (France)
- Golden Glove – Emiliano Martinez (Argentina)
- Golden Ball (Performer of the Tournament) – Lionel Messi (Argentina)
- Young Player – Enzo Fernandez (Argentina)
- FIFA Fair Play Award – England
- FIFA WC Official Ball : Al Rihla (means – ‘the journey’) – a reference to a travelogue written by Ibn Battuta, the 14th-century explorer. Al Rihla is the first World Cup ball to be made exclusively with water-based inks and glues. Al Rihla was to be used in the event until the quarterfinals, Al Hilm’ replaced Al Rihla FIFA WC 2022 semi-finals and final.
- The Football World Cup is an international soccer tournament held every four years to determine the best national soccer team in the world.
- The first official World Cup was played in Uruguay 1930.
- The tournament is the first to be held in the Arab world and only the second to take place in Asia, after Japan and South Korea joint-hosted the event in 2002.
- This edition will be the last to feature just 32 teams, with the tournament being expanded from 2026 inwards in order to feature 48 nations.
- 2026 World cup edition will be hosted by 16 cities in three North American countries: Canada, Mexico and the United States.