Today’s Current Affairs: 30th Oct 2023 for UPSC IAS exams, State PSC exams, SSC CGL, State SSC, RRB, Railways, Banking Exam & IBPS, etc
Table of Contents
Operation Chakra 2 : CBI
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has recently launched , Operation Chakra II.
- ‘Operation Chakra-2’, was initiated after the registration of five separate cases of cyber-enabled financial fraud, including a ₹100-crore crypto scam.
- Operation Chakra II launched by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI).
- Objective is to fight against transnationally organized cyber-enabled financial crimes in India.
- It aims to tackle transnational organized cyber-enabled financial crimes within India. (CBI and its troubles)
- These crimes often involve fraudulent activities conducted online .
- The CBI has partnered with technology giants Microsoft and Amazon, as well as with national and international law enforcement agencies.
- Some of the agencies involved include the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the United States, INTERPOL’s Cyber Crime Directorate and IFCACC, the National Crime Agency (NCA) in the United Kingdom.
- These collaborations are aimed at combating and dismantling the infrastructure of illegal call centres involved in these crimes.
Shi Yan 6 : Chinese Research Ship
A Chinese research ship, Shi Yan 6 docked at Colombo port.
- The Chinese research vessel ‘Shi Yan 6’ has stirred concerns due to its visit to Sri Lanka, with both the US and India voicing objections.
- Shi Yan 6 was given permission to enter the (Colombo) port for replenishment.
- US Under Secretary Victoria Nuland, who met Sri Lankan Foreign Minister Ali Sabry in New York on the sidelines of the UN General Assembly session, had reportedly raised concerns about the visit of ‘SHI YAN 6’.
- India’s objection to Chinese vessels docking in Sri Lanka stems from security concerns. (India-Sri Lanka relations)
- India perceives Chinese ships in close proximity to its mainland as potential security threats, suspecting espionage activities even when their stated purpose is scientific research.
- This apprehension has led to objections to Chinese vessels docking in Sri Lankan ports.
- China has maintained that the marine scientific research activities of Yuan Wang 5 and similar vessels align with international law and common practice and do not jeopardize the security or economic interests of any country.
- In response to the US’ concerns, the Sri Lankan Foreign Minister emphasized Sri Lanka’s commitment to neutrality.
About Shi Yan 6:-
- Shi Yan 6 is a Chinese Research/Survey Vessel.
- It has a carrying capacity of 1115 DWT (deadweight tonnage).
- Its current draught is reported to be 5.3 meters.
- It has an overall length of 90.6 meters and a width of 17 meters.
- This three-month voyage seeks to gather extensive fundamental data.
- It aims to study and uncover how dynamic processes impact the biogeochemical cycles, ecosystems, and sedimentary processes in the region.
Tamil Nadu’s First Tiger Rewilding Program:
A committee assessed the progress of Tamil Nadu’s first tiger rewilding program in the Anamalai Tiger Reserve.
- The tiger is cared for by dedicated Forest Department staff who minimize contact and monitor the animal through cameras.
- Anamalai Tiger Reserve is carved out of the Tamil Nadu portion of the Anamalais and lies South of the Palakkad gap in the Western Ghats
- Surrounded by various wildlife reserves and forests such as Parambikulum Tiger Reserve on the East, Chinnar Wildlife Sanctuary and Eravikulum National Park on the South Western side
- Ranges within the reserve include Amaravathi, Udumalpet, Pollachi, Ulandy, Valparai, and Manamboli
- Flora Encompasses a variety of ecosystems, including wet evergreen forest, semi-evergreen forest, montane shola-grassland, moist deciduous, dry deciduous, thorn forests, and marshes.
- Notable mammal species include the Asiatic elephant, Sambar, spotted deer, Barking deer, Mouse deer, Gaur, Nilgiri tahr, and Tigers.
Cases of Thallium poisoning have been rising in India, particularly in the Maharashtra
- Thallium is a toxic metal element (symbol Tl) with atomic number 81, known for its extreme toxicity. It does not freely occur in nature.
- Thallium has no colour, odour or taste. Its use is regulated in India. Thallium is also called the “poisoner’s poison”.
- Appearance Silvery-white tarnishes to Gray
- State at Room Temperature is Solid
- It is Highly toxic (considered a poison)
- Historically used in low-temperature thermometers.
- Radioactive isotopes are used in medical imaging.
- Extremely toxic when ingested or inhaled.
- Can cause severe health issues, including nerve and kidney damage.
- Mere contact with thallium can cause poisoning as it is highly soluble in water and can easily pass through the skin.
- It is also a suspected carcinogen.
- Antidote Prussian blue is used to remove thallium from the body.
- Interesting Fact Thallium is known for its high toxicity and was historically used as a rat poison
- Saddam Hussein, the former president of Iraq, is alleged to have used it to murder his political opponents.
World Polio Day 2023:
World Polio Day is celebrated every year on October 24 to create awareness around the importance of polio vaccination to protect children.
- Polio is a very infectious illness that has been around since ancient times, is a life threatening and disabling disease that can spread from person to person and can cause paralysis or may cause weakness in arms or legs.
- Polio virus can live in an infected a person’s throat and intestines and can be contracted by food and water in unhygienic conditions.
- It can spread through a snooze or feces of an infected person.
Oral polio vaccine (OPV):
- It produces antibodies in the blood to protect the individual against polio paralysis by preventing the spread of poliovirus to the nervous system.
Inactivated polio vaccine (IPV):
- It is an injectable three dose vaccine and can be either administered alone or along with other vaccines (e.g., diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, and haemophilus influenzae).
7th Edition Of The India Mobile Congress 2023:
The Prime Minister of India inaugurated the 7th Edition of the India Mobile Congress 2023 in New Delhi.
- India Mobile Congress (IMC) is the largest telecom, media, and technology forum in Asia to be held from 27th to 29th October 2023.
- Theme of IMC: ‘Global Digital Innovation’.
- The IMC 2023 aims to strengthen India’s position as a developer, manufacturer, and exporter of key cutting-edge technologies.
- The Prime Minister awarded 100 ‘5G Use Case Labs’ to educational institutions across the country.
- The ‘100 5G labs initiative’, is an endeavor to realize the opportunities associated with 5G technology by encouraging the development of 5G applications.
- The rollout of 5G has been completed, with plans to extend coverage nationwide by March 2024.
5th Meeting Of The National Level Steering Committee Of Atal Bhujal Yojana:
The 5th meeting of the National Level Steering Committee (NLSC) of Atal Bhujal Yojana (ATAL JAL) was held to review the overall progress of the scheme.
- The World Bank has been involved in the review of the program. The committee encouraged states to integrate Water Security Plans (WSPs) into the Gram Panchayat Development Plans which will ensure the sustainability of the scheme’s approach even after the program’s completion.
Atal Bhujal Yojna:
- ATAL JAL is a Central Sector Scheme for facilitating sustainable ground water management with an outlay of Rs. 6000 crore.
- It is being implemented by the Ministry of Jal Shakti .
- The scheme is being funded by the Government of India and the World Bank on a 50:50 basis.
- The entire World Bank’s loan component and central assistance will be passed on to the States as grants.
- It aims to improve the management of groundwater resources in select water stressed areas in identified states viz. Gujarat, Haryana, Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh.
- ATAL JAL promotes panchayat led groundwater management and behavioural change with a primary focus on demand-side management.