Abel Prize 2022:
It has been awarded to Professor Dennis Parnell Sullivan.
- He was awarded the prize “For his groundbreaking contributions to topology in its broadest sense, and in particular its algebraic, geometric and dynamical aspects.”
- The Abel Prize is awarded annually to outstanding mathematicians.
- It was established by the Norwegian Government in 2002, and is managed by The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters.
- The first Abel Prize, awarded in 2003, went to French mathematician Jean-Pierre Serre.
- The only person of Indian origin to have won this prize is Srinivasa S.R. Varadhan. He is at the Courant Institute, New York University, and won it in 2007.
- So far, the prize has gone to only one woman mathematician, Karen Keskulla Uhlenbeck of University of Texas, U.S.A.