Stockholm Water Prize 2022:
The Stockholm Water Prize 2022 has been awarded by The Stockholm International Water Institute (SIWI) to Professor Wilfried Brutsaert for his innovative work in evaluating environmental evaporation.
- This prize is widely considered to be the Nobel Prize for Water.
- Professor Brutsaert was awarded this prize as he has developed methods for quantifying evaporation and the role it plays in the Earth’s energy balance that allows for accurate estimations of how precipitation can evolve.
- This method is of utmost importance to the exposed local communities across the world as they will be needing to predict daily water levels as well as water levels available in the future
- Stockholm International Water Institute is a not-for-profit, independent organization that aims to strengthen freshwater governance regionally, globally, locally, and nationally.
- This organization was founded in 1991 and is headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden.