Security arrangements were recently set up for devotees and tourists coming to the Kamakhya temple for the Ambubachi Mela.
- Ambubachi Mela is an annual Hindu fair held at the historic Kamakhya Temple.
- It is celebrated during the monsoon season that happens to fall during the Assamese month Ahaar, around the middle of June.
- It is the celebration of the yearly menstruation course of goddess Maa Kamakhya.
- This mela is also known as Ameti or Tantric fertility festival since it is closely associated with Tantric Shakti cult prevalent in eastern parts of India.
- It is situated on Nilachal Hill and adjoining the southern bank of the Brahmaputra River in Guwahati,
- It is one of the most revered centres of Tantric practices.
- It is regarded as one of the oldest of the 51 Shakti Peethas in India.