Animal Pandemic Preparedness Initiative:
The Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying has launched an Animal Pandemic Preparedness Initiative (APPI) under One Health Approach to address the threat of diseases that can be transmitted from animals to humans.
- One Health approach recognizes the interconnectedness of human, animal, and environmental health.
- The Ministry has also launched Animal Health System Support for One Health (AHSSOH) project, funded by the World Bank.
- Animal Pandemic Preparedness Initiative (APPI) is in line with the World Health Organization’s (WHO) Global One Health strategy, which emphasizes the importance of multisectoral collaboration in addressing the threat of zoonotic diseases.
- It will help to improve veterinary services and infrastructure, disease surveillance capabilities, early detection and response, build the capacity of animal health professionals, and awareness among farmers through community outreach.
- The initiative aims to enhance India’s preparedness and response capabilities to prevent and control zoonotic diseases, thereby safeguarding the health of both animals and humans.