Researchers have developed miniature robots using human cells and termed them as anthrobots.
- Anthrobots are constructed from human tracheal cells which are bio-robots that possess self-assembly capabilities.
- These are capable of both movement and healing neurons within a laboratory setting.
- They can spontaneously fuse together to form a larger structure called a superbot, which was able to encourage the growth of neurons.
- They are measuring between the width of a human hair and the tip of a sharpened pencil.
- The anthrobots displayed diversity in structure and behavior. Some took on a spherical shape fully covered in cilia, while others resembled a football shape irregularly adorned with cilia.
- These anthrobots are different from Xenobots, which are created from embryonic stem cells of frog.
- They hold promise for regenerative medicine, wound healing, and disease treatment.