Facial Recognition Technology:
Two retail chains in Australia, Bunnings and Kmart, are being investigated for using facial recognition technology and storing data of their customers without their knowledge.
- Facial recognition technology works by capturing people’s faces from photographs or video footage as a unique faceprint.
- The image is then saved and can be compared to other faceprints stored in a common database.
- While this technology can help verify a person’s face, it also raises several privacy issues.
- In India Telangana police launched their own facial recognition facility (2018)
- Ministry of Civil Aviation’s “DigiYatra” has used the facial recognition system at Hyderabad Airport
- NCRB’s Crime and Criminal Tracking Network & Systems (CCTNS) uses automated facial recognition