ASICS 2023 Report:
The sixth edition of the Annual Survey of India’s City-Systems (ASICS) 2023 report has been released by Janaagraha
- The Annual Survey of India’s City-Systems (ASICS) is a comprehensive evaluation of the quality of governance in Indian cities.
- It was published after a gap of five years (the last was in 2017).
- The ASICS report this time focused on the state as a unit instead of ranking cities as they did in the past.
- Pace of Urbanization Outlays to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs have increased significantly, but urbanization is outpacing reform efforts, leading to persistent quality-of-life challenges.
- 51% of states/union territories lack accessible urban legislation in the public domain.
- 39% of India’s capital cities do not have an active master plan.
- Eastern states have better urban legislation, followed by Southern states.
- Highly urbanized and large states perform better in urban planning.