Australia India Water Security Initiative (AIWASI):
The Union Cabinet has approved a MoU (Memorandum of Understanding) between India and Australia on Technical Cooperation for Australia –India water Security initiative (AIWASI).
- AIWASI is a project Under South Asia Water Security Initiative (SAWASI) of Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), Australia.
- It aims to work towards the Water Sensitive City vision which is based on holistic management of the integrated water cycle.
- AIWASI will strengthen India’s water governance and undertake investments that provide.
- urban water services,
- support to disadvantaged communities to access reliable, safe water and sanitation services.
- The project will undertake and deliver a Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) demonstration project.
- This AIWASI project is also a ‘living laboratory’ with multiple educational, social and environmental benefits like water literacy of students and the community, creation of green spaces, improved air quality from blue-green infrastructure and rejuvenation of degraded water bodies and aquifers.