The European Union has approved a Military Training Mission in Mozambique to support armed forces there to protect the civilian population.
- It aims to train and support the military in restoring security to northern Cabo Delgado, which has been plagued by extreme violence amid Jihadist attacks since 2017.
- Over the last three years, more than 2,800 people have died in the violence which has forced about 9,00,000 others from their homes.
- Cabo Delgado is the northernmost province of Mozambique.
- As well as bordering the neighbouring country of Tanzania, it borders the provinces of Nampula and Niassa.
- The region is an ethnic stronghold of the Makonde tribe, with the Makua and Mwani as leading ethnic minorities.