A recent study carried out by the researchers were able to achieve the most accurate calibration of Cepheid stars.
- Cepheid star is a type of variable star which brigthen and dim periodically.
- Variable stars are essentially stars that experience fluctuations in their brightness
- Cepheids stars are special type of variable star in that they are hot and massive – five to twenty times as much mass as our Sun – and are known for their tendency to pulsate radially and vary in both diameter and temperature.
- Cepheid star’s period is directly related to its luminosity or brightness.
- They have luminosities 500-30,000 times greater than that of the Sun.
- They are used as cosmic yardsticks out to distances of a few tens of millions of light-years.