Climate Ambition Summit 2023:
The United Nations Climate Ambition Summit (CAS) held in United Nations Headquarters, New York on 20th September 2023, aimed to accelerate climate action as a prelude to the 28th Conference of Parties (COP28) to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change(UNFCCC).
- Climate Ambition Summit (CAS) is a prominent international event aimed at addressing the pressing issue of climate change.
- The CAS is designed to showcase “first mover and doer” leaders from government, business, finance, local authorities, and civil society who came with credible actions, policies and plans – and not just pledges – to accelerate the decarbonization of the global economy and deliver climate justice.
- The central aim of the CAS is to uphold the Paris Agreement’s 1.5°C temperature limit, which seeks to prevent severe climate consequences by capping global warming at 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.
- A total of 34 states and 7 institutions had speaking slots, including India’s neighbouring countries Sri Lanka, Nepal, and Pakistan, as well as emerging economies like South Africa and Brazil.
- Key players such as the European Union, Germany, France, and Canada also addressed the audience.
- Brazil pledged to reinstate its original 2015 climate goals, emphasizing the need for more ambitious measures and a transition away from fossil fuels.
- Nepal aimed for Net Zero emissions by 2045 instead of 2050, while Thailand targeted Net Zero by 2050, and Portugal set a carbon-neutral goal for 2045.
- All G-20 governments were asked to commit to presenting more ambitious NDCs featuring absolute emissions cuts by 2025.
- The summit emphasized the need to deliver climate justice, particularly to communities on the front lines of the climate crisis who are disproportionately affected.