Cluster Bombs: Cluster Bombs : United States To Supply Ukraine
The decision by the United States to supply Ukraine with cluster bombs has caused concern among key US allies.
- Cluster bomb is a type of weapon that is designed to disperse smaller bombs over a large area.
- They are also known as cluster munitions, with the smaller bombs referred to as submunitions or bomblets.
- They can be dropped from air or fired from ground/sea, dispersing dozens or hundreds of bomblets across a large area.
- These explosions pose a grave threat to anyone in the vicinity, causing death or severe injuries.
- Some bomblets fail to detonate immediately, leaving behind unexploded ordnance that can harm or kill people for years to come
- The use of cluster bombs has been widely condemned internationally.
- Over 100 countries have ratified the Convention on Cluster Munitions.
- Convention on Cluster Munitions was adopted in Dublin on 30 May 2008 and opened for signature in Oslo on 3 December the same year.