LEADS 2022 Survey Report:
Union Minister for Commerce and Industry, Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution and Textiles recently launched Logistics Ease Across Different States (LEADS) 2022 survey report.
- The LEADS is an indigenous data-driven index to assess logistics infrastructure, services, and human resources across all 36 States and UTs.
- The index is an indicator of the efficiency of logistical services necessary for promoting exports and economic growth.
- The index aims at enhancing the focus on improving logistics performance across states which is essential for improving the country’s trade and reducing transaction cost.
- Unlike the previous versions of LEADS which were based on ranking systems for all states, LEADS 2022 has adopted a classification-based grading, states have been now classified under four categories viz coastal states, hinterland/landlocked states, north-eastern states, and Union Territories.
- Three performance categories namely,
- Achievers: States/UTs achieving 90% or more percentage,
- Andhra Pradesh, Assam and Gujarat are among the 15 States and UTs categorised as achievers.
- Fast Movers: States/UTs achieving percentage scores between 80% to 90%,
Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, Puducherry, Sikkim and Tripura are the other States categorised as fast movers.
- Aspirers: States/UTs achieving percentage scores below 80% have been made.
- The 15 States and UTs ranked in the aspirers category include Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Goa, Mizoram, Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lakshadweep, Ladakh, Nagaland, Jammu and Kashmir, and Arunachal Pradesh.
- The LEADS 2022 survey report would assist PM GatiShakti National Master Plan (PMGS-NMP) and National Logistics Policy (NLP).