Conservation Of The Nilgiri Tahr:
The Tamil Nadu government launched an initiative for the conservation of the Nilgiri Tahr at Rs 25 crore.
- Under The Nilgiri Tahr project, the Tamil Nadu government plans to:
- Develop a better understanding of the Nilgiri Tahr population through surveys and radio telemetry studies
- Reintroduce the Tahrs to their historical habitat
- Address proximate threats
- Increase public awareness of the species
- The project is to be implemented for 5 year period from 2022 to 2027.
- Nilgiri Tahr is the only Caprinae species found in the tropical mountains of southern
- They are endemic to the Western Ghats and used to inhabit a large part of the Western Ghats between Kerala and Tamil Nadu.
- IUCN – Endangered