Among the evidence relied upon by a special court in Mumbai while giving the death sentence to a 44-year-old man for the rape and murder of a woman in the Saki Naka area of the city, is a “gait analysis” report.
- Gait is defined as a manner of walking or moving on foot.
- Gait analysis is a technique in podiatry medical care and the treatment of the foot, which is used to evaluate and diagnose conditions that affect walking and posture.
- The analysis can help experts zero in on the source of an injury or pain that determines the way in which an individual stands or walks.
- It can also be used by physiotherapists for treatment, and in athletics training so that athletes can perform better and in greater comfort.
- Gait analysis techniques have now been borrowed by forensic sciences experts to identify suspects in criminal cases.
- With footage from CCTV cameras becoming a crucial element in fighting and preventing a range of crimes especially in the cities, gait analysis has begun to be used as a tool for focusing on or eliminating individuals from a list of suspects.