Coral Reef Breakthrough : International Coral Reef Initiative
The International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI), has launched the Coral Reef Breakthrough in partnership with the Global Fund for Coral Reefs (GFCR) and the High-Level Climate Champions (HLCC).
- The Initiative was launched at the 37th ICRI General Meeting, 2023.
- The Coral Reef Breakthrough is a science-based initiative with clear goals for the state and non-state actors to collectively conserve, protect, and restore coral reefs, safeguarding their vital contributions to humanity’s future.
- The Coral Reef Breakthrough aims to secure the future of at least 125,000 km2 of shallow-water tropical coral reefs with investments of at least USD 12 billion to support the resilience of more than half a billion people globally by 2030.
International Coral Reef Initiative (ICRI):
- It is a global partnership between Nations and organizations that strives to preserve coral reefs and related ecosystems around the world.
- The Initiative was founded in 1994 by eight governments: Australia, France, Japan, Jamaica, the Philippines, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America.