World Pulses Day:
The “World Pulses Day” is observed on February 10 every year since 2018. This day is dedicated to the importance of pulses. In the year 2021, the day was celebrated under the theme: “Nutritious Seeds for a Sustainable Future.”
- On this occasion, the big event was held virtually in New York.
- The event was held with the main focus on raising awareness and recognizing the contribution of pulses in maintaining sustainable food systems and healthy diets.
- The day comes under the second goal of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goal which is “Zero Hunger.”
- The day also includes the objectives of the United Nations Agenda 2030.
- The day is observed to urge the people to grow the pulses besides its consumption.
- Pulses are highly nutritious and it plays a very important part in making the diet healthy for humans. But there are sections of people who do not have access to pulses and there are some people who do not know the nutritional value and health benefits of the pulses.
- Thus, the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) of the United Nations established and dedicated this day in the year 2018 with the aim of increasing awareness as well as access to pulses.
- On the occasion of world pulses day, people are requested to consume and donate pulses.
- They are also asked to raise awareness around them.