Dadasaheb Phalke Award For The Year 2019:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has congratulated Rajinikanth after he has been conferred with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2019.
- Dadasaheb Phalke Award is India’s highest award in cinema.
- It is presented annually at the National Film Awards ceremony by the Directorate of Film Festivals (an organization set up by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting).
- The award prize consists of a golden lotus, a cash prize of ₹10 lakh, and a shawl.
- The award is given to people for their “outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian cinema”.
- It was first presented in 1969. The first recipient of the award was actress Devika Rani, “the first lady of Indian cinema.”
- Dadasaheb Phalke (1870–1944), was an Indian film-maker who directed India’s first full-length feature film, Raja Harishchandra (1913).
- He is regarded as “the father of Indian cinema.”