First Jharkhand Migrant Survey:
The first Jharkhand Migrant Survey (JMS) was recently conducted across 24 districts of the state.
- Nearly 8.5 lakh migrant workers belonging to the state travelled back to Jharkhand during the Covid crisis.
- The initiative is part of the state’s Safe and Responsible Migration Initiative (SRMI), which was launched in 2021-end and includes the preparation of a database of migrant workers.
- Jharkhand is not the only state to conduct migrant labour surveys.
- Kerala has been a pioneer in this field, followed by states like Tamil Nadu and Punjab.
- But there is a basic difference in labour movement between Kerala and Jharkhand.
- In Kerala, workers mostly go abroad (mainly to Gulf countries).
- However, the issue is internal migration in Jharkhand.