Gender Social Norms Index (GSNI) 2023:
The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) released the Gender Social Norms Index (GSNI) 2023.
- Gender Social Norms Index (GSNI) 2023 quantifies biases against women, capturing people’s attitudes toward women’s roles.
- It tracked people’s attitudes towards women in four dimensions: political, educational, economic and physical integrity.
- The index, covering 85 per cent of the global population, reveals that close to 9 out of 10 men and women hold fundamental biases against women.
- Nearly 90% of people still hold at least one bias against women and 25 per cent of people believe it is justified for a man to beat his wife.
- Countries with greater bias in gender social norms also show a lower presence of women in parliament.
- Indigenous women, migrant women and women with disabilities have meagre political representation, demonstrating how overlapping biases can further reduce opportunities for women.
- The recent increase in education achievements has not translated into better economic outcomes and opportunities for women.