Green Methanol Production At a Commercial Scale : NTPC
State-owned power generation company NTPC has recently partnered with Tecnimont to explore green methanol production at a commercial scale.
- The green methanol project involves capturing carbon from NTPC power plants and converting it into a green fuel.
- The objective of the partnership was to demonstrate technologies for firing a higher percentage of Torrefied Biomass in NTPC’s coal fired units, Methanol Firing and Ammonia Firing.
- Green methanol is methanol that is produced renewably and without polluting emissions, one of its variants being generated from green hydrogen.
- It is a low-carbon fuel that can be made from either biomass gasification or renewable electricity and captured carbon dioxide (CO2).
- This chemical compound can be used as a low-carbon liquid fuel and is a promising alternative to fossil fuels in areas where decarbonisation is a major challenge, such as maritime transport.