Green Tug Transition Programme:
The Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways in India has announced the launch of the Green Tug Transition Programme (GTTP) with the aim of making India a global hub for green shipbuilding by 2030.
- The programme will start with Green Hybrid Tugs, which will be powered by green hybrid propulsion systems, and will subsequently adopt non-fossil fuel solutions like Methanol, Ammonia, and Hydrogen.
- Green shipping refers to the use of environment-friendly resources and energy to transport people and goods by ship
- Green ship technology adopts procedures to decrease emissions, consume less energy, and be more efficient.
- Tugs are special boats that assist other vessels into and out of port.
- The primary purpose of these boats is to help move larger ships by towing, pushing, and guiding.