The US Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has said that dealing with the issue of Havana Syndrome is a top priority and that it will keep investigating the cause and how to protect staff.
- In late 2016, a few diplomats from the USA and their employees had reported certain usual symptoms during their stay in Havana, Cuba.
- They experienced some odd physical sensations and heard peculiar sounds, after which they started feeling sick.
- The US had even accused Cuba of carrying out sonic attacks. But Cuba denied the accusations of the sonic attacks and refused awareness of any such illness or syndrome.
- Ever since many bodies and institutions have been researching the cause of the Havana syndrome and many plausible factors have been discovered till date.
- The symptoms of the syndrome include Nausea, Severe headaches, Fatigue, Dizziness, Sleep problems, Hearing loss.
- A few of those who had been affected more faced chronic issues like vestibular processing and cognitive problems.
- In 2020, a report by the National Academies of Sciences (NAS), US found directed microwave radiation to be the plausible cause of the Havana syndrome.