Heeralal Samariya : Chief Of The Central Information Commission
The Information Commissioner, Heeralal Samariya, was sworn in as the chief of the Central Information Commission (CIC) by the President Of India.
- Central Information Commission has been constituted under the Right to Information Act, 2005.
- The jurisdiction of the Commission extends over all Central Public Authorities.
- To exercise the powers conferred on them under the RTI Act, 2005.
- To receive and inquire into complaints from any citizen (Section 18 of the RTI Act, 2005).
- To receive and decide upon the second appeal from any citizen (Section 19 of the RTI Act, 2005).
- To perform the duty of “Monitoring and Reporting “(Section 25 of the RTI Act, 2005).
- It consists of a Chief Information Commissioner and not more than ten Information Commissioners.
- They are appointed by the President of India on the recommendation of a committee consisting of the Prime Minister as Chairperson, the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, and a Union Cabinet Minister nominated by the Prime Minister.