World’s oldest known cave art:
Archaeologists have discovered the world’s oldest known cave art — a life-sized picture of a wild pig that was painted at least 45,500 years ago in Indonesia.
- The Sulawesi warty pig painting was found in the limestone cave of Leang Tedongnge
- The cave painting uncovered in South Sulawesi consists of a figurative depiction of a warty pig, a wild boar that is endemic to this Indonesian island.
- The cave is in a valley that is enclosed by steep limestone cliffs and is only accessible by a narrow cave passage in the dry season.
- The isolated Bugis community living in this hidden valley claims it had never before been visited by Westerners.
- The previously oldest dated rock art ‘scene’ at least 43,900 years old, was a depiction of hybrid human-animal beings hunting Sulawesi warty pigs and dwarf bovids.
Need Monthly Current Affairs PDF?
Get everything on your phone with our all in one app for your UPSC Preparation.
- Get daily current affairs on you phone
- Download monthly current affairs PDF
- All India daily mock tests with ranking