India and China announced that both have agreed to establish a Hotline:
- The decision to install a Hotline between the two countries was taken over a telephonic meeting between India’s External Affairs Minister and China’s Foreign Affairs Minister.
- The hotline is a direct telephone line in constant operational readiness so as to facilitate immediate communication.
- The Hotline will be helpful in timely communication and exchange of views between the two countries.
- Reiterated the ‘three mutuals’ (mutual respect, mutual sensitivity, and mutual interests) as the approach to the relationship.
- Disengagement, followed by de-escalation, will lead to peace along the Line of Actual Control (LAC), and eventually normalization of ties.
- The boundary situation should not be placed at the front and center of the relationship, but instead at a “proper place” in overall ties.
- The indication was the two sides should return to business as usual while the issue is dealt with.