Maharashtra Bhushan award:
Legendary singer Asha Bhosle will be presented the Maharashtra Bhushan award for the year 2020, the State government’s highest honour.
- A committee headed by Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray held a meeting earlier today in this regard.
- The award, instituted in 1996 by the State government to recognize distinguished work and achievements of eminent persons from the State, representing different walks of life, carries a cash prize of ₹10 lakh and a citation.
- Born on September 8, 1933, in Maharashtra’s Sangli district, Ms. Bhosle was initiated into music by her father, the renowned Marathi stage actor-singer Dinanath Mangeshkar.
- Bhosle received the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for 2000.
- The first Maharashtra Bhushan awardee was Marathi writer P.L. Deshpande and the last winner of this award was historian Babasaheb Purandare who got it for the year 2015.
- Her sister Lata Mangeshkar won the award for 1997.