Metaverse Standards Forum:
Various brands gathered for the founding of the Metaverse Standards Forum for the development of interoperability standards to drive the growth of the metaverse.
- Metaverse is the next version of the Internet focused on social connection.
- It can be defined as a simulated digital environment that uses Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and blockchain, along with concepts from social media, to create spaces for rich user interaction mimicking the real world.
- It can be imagined as a 3D virtual world, with ever-evolving aspects which are collectively shared by its inhabitants – a virtual world with real-time events and an online infrastructure.
- In theory, it encapsulates everything that’s happening into the real world and will bring real-time events and updates going forward.
- The user exists in a virtual world without borders.
- The concept of the metaverse has yet to be fully established, but interest in virtual and augmented realities fast-tracks the growth of various metaverse projects.
- In light of the growing anticipation for the metaverse, Metaverse Standards Forum was established “to foster the development of open standards for the metaverse”.
- “Open Standards” are standards made available to the general public and are developed (or approved) and maintained via a collaborative and consensus driven process.
- “Open Standards” facilitate interoperability and data exchange among different products or services and are intended for widespread adoption.
- The internet is interoperable through the power of HTML, the metaverse also requires a similar interface for users to navigate between virtual worlds freely.
- It aims to analyze the interoperability necessary for running the metaverse.
- Interoperability is the driving force for the growth and adoption of the open metaverse.
- It will focus on pragmatic, action-based projects such as implementation prototyping, hackathons, plugfests, and open-source tooling to accelerate the testing and adoption of metaverse standards.
- It will also develop consistent language and deployment guidelines to expand the online universe.