Millets Experience Centre:
The Indian government has launched a first of its kind Millets Experience Centre (MEC) in collaboration with the National Agricultural Cooperative Marketing Federation of India (NAFED).
- This initiative comes in light of the UNGA’s declaration of 2023 as the International Year of Millets (IYM 2023).
- Millet has been referred to as ‘Shree Anna’ in Union Budget 2023-24.
- The MEC is a unique concept that will promote millets as a versatile, healthy grain by showcasing its dietary benefits and offering customers a unique dining experience.
- Visitors to the center can purchase a variety of ready-to-eat and ready-to-cook products from local millet start-ups.
- The MEC will help widen the horizon for consumers who are actively looking for healthier alternatives.
- The establishment of the MEC is a step in the direction of India’s goal to become a “Global Hub” for millet.
- The MEC will not only promote the dietary benefits of the ancient grain but also popularize millet as a nutritional powerhouse fit for cooking a variety of dishes such as millet dosa and millet pasta.
- This initiative will bring visibility to India’s robust millet-based start-up community and will help in the recognition of the immense potential of millets as a versatile and healthy grain.