NAMASTE (National Action Plan for Mechanised Sanitation Ecosystem) Scheme: Union Budget 2023
In the Union Budget 2023, the Government of India allocated Rs 100 crores for the NAMASTE scheme.
- The GoI aims to mechanize septic tank cleaning and sewer cleaning in towns and cities.
- The scheme aims to provide an alternate livelihood to sanitation workers. In addition, NAMASTE will strive to bring behavioral changes to them.
- Objective of the scheme
- To achieve zero fatalities in the sanitation sector
- No sanitation worker will touch or come in direct contact with the fecal matter
- The sanitation workers will be encouraged to form Self Help Groups
- Ensure the workers have access to alternative livelihoods as mechanization may bring loss of jobs to few in the industry
- In phase 1, 500 cities are taken. GoI is planning on choosing AMRUT cities first.
- Also, the first target will be cities whose population is more than one lakh.
- Ten cities from islands, hilly regions, and tourist destinations will be picked.