National Achievement Survey (NAS) 2021 Report:
The Department of School Education and Literacy, Ministry of Education released the National Achievement Survey (NAS) 2021 report. The last NAS was held in 2017.
- It assesses the health of school education system in the country by conducting comprehensive evaluation survey of children’s learning competencies at classes III, V, VIII and X with a cycle period of three years.
- The report also evaluated competencies of students in subjects such as mathematics, languages, and environmental studies (EVS) for Classes 3 and 5; language, mathematics, science and social science for Class 8; and language, mathematics, science, social science and English for Class 10.
- Nearly 80% students found learning at home during the pandemic “burdensome” and felt that they learnt better in school with help from peers.
- As many as 24% students said they had no digital device at home.
- Though 45% students found the experience “joyful”, 38% also said that they had difficulties in learning.
- Out of a score of 500, students across various classes performed better in languages, but lagged behind in subjects like mathematics and science.
- Across various subjects and classes, SC, ST and OBC students perform worse than general category students.