National Press Day 2022:
The day is observed on 16th November every year to commemorate a free and responsible press.
- It was on this day that the Press Council of India started functioning as a moral watchdog to ensure that the press maintains high standards and is not fettered by any influence or threats.
- Since the year 1997, the Council has commemorated the day in a significant way through seminars with relevant themes.
- The Press Council of India was first set up in the year 1966 by the Parliament on the recommendations of the First Press Commission.
- It is a statutory body functioning under the Press Council Act, 1978.
- Objective: Preserving the freedom of the press and of maintaining and improving the standards of press in India.
- It is a quasi-judicial authority. It adjudicates the complaints against and by the press for violation of ethics and for violation of the freedom of the press respectively.