National Tele Mental Health Programme:
The union health ministry said the Tele-Manas helpline under the National Tele Mental Health Programme has received over 200,000 calls since its launch in October 2022.
- Tele Mental Health Assistance and Networking Across States (Tele MANAS) has been launched during October 2022.
- It aims to provide free tele-mental health services all over the country round the clock, particularly catering to people in remote or under-served areas.
- There are 42 active Tele Manas cells across 31 states and Union Territories.
- The service is accessible through the toll-free numbers with options to choose preferred languages (20 languages included till now).
- Tele-MANAS will be organised in two tier system:
- Tier 1: It comprises of state Tele-MANAS cells which include trained counsellors and mental health specialists.
- Tier 2: It will comprise of specialists at District Mental Health Programme (DMHP)/Medical College resources for physical consultation and/or e-Sanjeevani for audio visual consultation.
- Services offered by Tele MANAS:
- Tele counselling by trained counsellors.
- Tele Consultation by Mental Health professionals when required.
- Referral Services to other Mental Health Establishments such as Medical Colleges, District Mental Health Program (DMHP) services and speciality institutes.
National Mental Health Programme (NMHP):
- The Government of India has launched the National Mental Health Programme (NMHP) in 1982, with the following objectives:
- To ensure the availability and accessibility of minimum mental healthcare for all in the foreseeable future, particularly to the most vulnerable and underprivileged sections of the population;
- To encourage the application of mental health knowledge in general healthcare and in social development;
- To promote community participation in the mental health service development and to stimulate efforts towards self-help in the community.