National Turmeric Board : Established
The Government of India has established the National Turmeric Board.
- As India is the world’s largest producer (75% of global turmeric production), consumer, and exporter of turmeric, this move aims to enhance the development and expansion of the turmeric industry within the country.
- The Board will consist of a Chairperson appointed by the Central Government, members from key government departments including the Ministry of AYUSH, Departments of Pharmaceuticals, Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Commerce & Industry of the Union Government, along with rotating senior State Government representatives from three states.
- The Board is expected to help develop and grow the spice market in India, which controls over 62% share of the turmeric world trade.
- The largest producing states of Turmeric are Maharashtra, Telangana, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.
- With its strategic approach, it aspires to propel turmeric exports to a staggering USD 1 Billion by 2030, ultimately benefiting both growers and consumers.