National Working Plan Code-2023:
The Ministry of Environment, Forest & Climate Change has released the “National Working Plan Code-2023” for the scientific management of forests and evolving new approaches.
- Scientific forest management is an approach that involves the application of scientific principles and techniques to manage forests sustainably.
- It focuses on gathering data, conducting research, and utilizing evidence-based practices to ensure the long-term health and productivity of forests.
- The plan aims to provide social, economic, cultural, and spiritual benefits from forests.
- “Indian Forest Management Standard” which is a part of this code, takes into account the diverse forest ecosystem in our country while trying to bring uniformity in management.
- The code brings uniformity and acts as a guiding principle for the preparation of working plans across different forest divisions and states.
- The standard aligns with international criteria and indicators for sustainable forest management.
- Institutional framework establishes the policy, legal, and institutional framework necessary for effective forest management.
- For the first time, continuous data collection and updation in a centralized database are prescribed for state forest departments.
- It enables state forest departments to measure the effectiveness of their management practices against the prescriptions of the working plans.