Transgenic Crops In India : Three States Rejected a Proposal
Three States, Gujarat, Maharashtra and Telangana, have recently rejected a proposal, approved by the Centre’s Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC), to test a new kind of transgenic cotton seed.
- Transgenic crops are plants that have been modified through genetic engineering
- These crops have had specific genes inserted into their DNA to give them new characteristics or traits that are not naturally found in the species through traditional breeding methods.
- A Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) is any living organism whose genetic material has been modified to include certain desirable techniques.
- Genetic modification has previously been used for the large-scale production of insulin, vaccines, and more.
- In crops, genetic modification involves the manipulation of DNA instead of using controlled pollination— the conventional method to improve crops— to alter certain characteristics of the crop.