Nawegaon Nagzira Tiger Reserve : Birth Of Four Cub
A tigress has recently given birth to four cubs in the Navegaon Nagzira Tiger Reserve (NNTR) in Maharashtra’s Gondia district.
- Nawegaon Nagzira Tiger Reserve (NNTR) is situated in Gondia and Shandara Districts of Maharashtra.
- It was declared a Wildlife Sanctuary in 1970. In 2012, state government announced to merging this sanctuary with another national park to include in Tiger Project, now called as Nagzira Navegoan Tiger Reserve.
- It comprises Nawegaon National Park, Nawegaon Wildlife Sanctuary, Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary, New Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary and Koka Wildlife Sanctuary.
- It is connected with many surrounding tiger reserves like Pench, Kanha, Tadoba Andhari Tiger Reserve, Indravati Tiger Reserve etc.
- The topography is undulating, and the highest point viz. ‘Zenda Pahad’ is around 702 m above Mean Sea Level.
- There are 364 species of plants and the major trees are: Terminalia tomentosa, Lagerstroemia parviflora, Anogeisus lotifolia, Pterocarpus marsupium, Diospyrus melanoxylon, Ougeinia oogenesis etc.
- The major wild animals are: Tiger, Panther, Small Indian Civet, Palm Civet, Wolf, Jackal, Wild Dog, Sloth Bear, Ratel, Common Giant Flying Squirrel, Gaur, Sambar, Chital, Four Horned Antelope, Mouse Deer and Pangolin.