Forest Fire At Navegaon-Nagzira Tiger Reserve (NNTR) In Maharashtra:
Three laborers were killed and two others injured during an operation to douse a forest fire at Navegaon-Nagzira Tiger Reserve (NNTR) in Maharashtra.
- It is situated in the Gondia and Bhandara districts of Maharashtra.
- Gondia District shares common boundaries with the state of Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh on the north and eastern side respectively.
- Strategically, the Tiger Reserve is located in the heart of the central Indian Tiger landscape which contributes almost one-sixth of the total tiger population of the country.
- It was notified as to the 46th Tiger Reserve of India in December 2013.
- NNTR comprised the notified area of Nawegaon National Park, Nawegaon Wildlife Sanctuary, Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary, New Nagzira Wildlife Sanctuary, and Koka Wildlife Sanctuary.
- NNTR has connectivity with the major tiger reserves in Central India like,
- Kanha and Pench tiger reserve in Madhya Pradesh,
- Tadoba-Andhari Tiger Reserve in Maharashtra,
- Indravati Tiger Reserve in Chhattisgarh,
- Indirectly with the Kawal and Nagarjuna Sagar in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh and, Achanakmar Tiger reserve in Chhattisgarh.
- It is also connected to important tiger-bearing areas like the Umred-Karhandla sanctuary and Brahampuri Division (Maharashtra).