New Delhi Excise Policy 2021-22:
The New Delhi Excise Policy 2021-22, which sought to ensure optimum revenue for the State government and confront the sale of spurious or bootlegged liquor ran widespread allegations of “procedural lapses”.
- This has forced the government to scrap it with effect from August 1, 2022
- Under the new policy, the number of liquor vends in Delhi would have increased from around 630 to 850 — all privately owned and operated.
- One person could hold more than one liquor retail licence and the “heavily regulated” excise regime was to be eased for business.
- The revamped excise policy ran into controversy as private liquor vends were opening up across the capital.
- Many of these vends were sealed by the MCD for various violations related to non-conforming areas where certain businesses such as liquor retail are not allowed.