Horticulture Production In 2021-22:
The total horticulture production in 2021-22 is estimated to be 341.63 million tonnes (MT), an increase of about 7.03 MT or 21% over the 2020-21 figure, according to the second advanced estimates of area and production of various horticultural crops released by the Union Agriculture Ministry.
- Last year, the total horticulture cultivation was on 27.48 million hectares and according to the second advanced estimates, in 2021-22, it could be 27.74 million hectares.
- The Centre said that while there could be an increase in the production of fruits, vegetables and honey, the cultivation of spices, flowers, medicinal plants and plantation crops could decrease over previous year.
- The fruit production is estimated at 107.1 MT compared to 102.48 MT in 2020-21.
- The production of vegetables is estimated to be 204.61 MT, compared to 200.45 MT in 2020-21.
- In the case of onion, the production is estimated to be 31.7 MT against 26.64 MT in 2020-21.
- Potato production is likely to be 53.58 MT, from 56.17 MT in 2020-21.
- Tomato yield is expected to be 20.34 MT, from 21.18 MT in 2020-21. Farmers of the three crops had agitated against the drop in prices last year.