Niti Aayog Report On Alternatives To Plastics:
A Niti Ayog report has suggested on plastic alternatives or technologies making plastic degradable
- According To Report: India produces 3.47 mn tn of plastic waste/year, out of which 60% is collected for recycling.
- Goa, Delhi & Kerala have reported the highest per capita plastic waste generation, while Nagaland, Sikkim and Tripura have reported the lowest per capita plastic waste generation.
- Globally, 97-99% of these plastics are derived from fossil fuel feedstock while the remaining 1-3% come from bio (plant) based plastics
- Develop emerging technologies:g., additives can make plastics biodegradable polyolefins, such as polypropylene and polyethylene
- Use of Bio-plastics: as a cost-effective alternative to plastics
- Appreciate the contribution of the Informal sector and vulnerable groups in recycling waste
- Use Extended Producer responsibility to minimize waste
- Levelling and collection of compostable and biodegradable plastics
- Transparency: Disclose data on waste generation, collection and disposal
- Avoid greenwashing: Greenwashing is the process of conveying misleading information about how a company’s products are more environmentally sound