North Korea Missile Test:
North Korea has conducted its biggest missile launch since 2017. North Korea has claimed the missile which it test fired recently is extremely powerful and can travel hundreds of miles, It also has the ability to strike the US Northern Pacific command Guam.
- The test was an intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM), which would be the biggest missile tested since November 2017.
- The missile reached an altitude of 2,000km and flew for 30 minutes to a distance of 800km. Finally, it landed in the Sea of Japan.
- North Korea has conducted a record number of seven missile launches in the month of January 2022 alone – which was strongly condemned by the US, South Korea, Japan, and other nations.
- The UN prohibits North Korea from ballistic and nuclear weapons tests, and has imposed strict sanctions, but the East Asian state regularly defies the ban.
- Guam is an organized, unincorporated territory of the United States in the Micronesia subregion of the western Pacific Ocean.
- In Oceania, it is the largest and southernmost of the Mariana Islands and the largest island in Micronesia.
- Guam’s capital is Hagåtña.
- People born on Guam are American citizens but have no vote in the United States presidential elections.