Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will make its third venture to the Moon through the Chandrayaan-3 mission in August this year.
- This was stated by Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh in a written reply to Lok Sabha.
- Chandrayaan-3 is a planned third lunar exploration mission by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO).
- Following Chandrayaan-2, where a last-minute glitch in the soft landing guidance software led to the failure of the lander’s soft landing attempt after a successful orbital insertion, another lunar mission for demonstrating soft landing was proposed.
- Chandrayaan-3 will be a mission repeat of Chandrayaan-2 but will only include a lander and rover similar to that of Chandrayaan-2. It will not have an orbiter.
- The spacecraft is planned to be launched in August 2022.
- This year is expected to be quite busy for ISRO as major projects such as Gaganyaan and Aditya solar mission are also in the pipeline.
- ISRO will conduct 19 missions till December this year.