NSE Nifty 50 : Cross The 20,000 Mark
The NSE Nifty 50 recently managed to cross the 20,000 mark for the first time.
- NIFTY is a market index introduced by the National Stock Exchange (NSE).
- It is a blended word – National Stock Exchange and Fifty coined by NSE.
- Nifty was established in 1996 under the name CNX Nifty.
- Further, in 2015, it was renamed Nifty 50.
- NIFTY 50 is a benchmark-based index and the flagship of NSE.
- It represents the performance of the 50 largest and most actively traded stocks listed on the NSE.
- These 50 largest companies are from different industrial sectors and collectively represent the Stock Market and Economic Trends of India.
- It is one of the two main stock market indices in India, the other being SENSEX, a product of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE).
- A stock index is a measurement of the changes that take place in the stock market.
- It measures price movement and market performance.
- To create an index, one has to group some stocks from a list of stocks with similar characteristics.
- This grouping of stocks can be based on the type of industry, total market capitalization, or size of the company.