Global Hunger Index 2023:
India ranks 111 out of a total of 125 countries in the Global Hunger Index (GHI) 2023.
Key findings of GHI-2023:
- India’s ranking is based on a Global Hunger Index score of 28.7 on a 100-point scale.
- This categorises India’s severity of hunger as “serious”.
- The 2023 GHI score for the world is 18.3, which is considered moderate.
- Latin American and the Caribbean is the only region in the world whose GHI scores have worsened between 2015 and 2023.
- South Asia and Africa South of the Sahara are the world regions with the highest hunger levels, with GHI scores of 27.0 each.
Global Hunger Index:
- It is a tool for comprehensively measuring and tracking hunger at global, regional, and national levels.
- It is prepared jointly by Irish aid agency Concern Worldwide and German organisation Welt Hunger Hilfe.