One-Shot Chikungunya Vaccine:
According to the first phase 3 trial of the preventive published in The Lancet journal – a single-dose vaccine (VLA1553 vaccine) for chikungunya was found safe and produced a strong immune response against the viral disease.
- Chikungunya is the mosquito-borne disease is caused by the chikungunya virus (CHIKV), which is endemic in some regions of Africa, Asia, and the Americas.
- Chikungunya causes symptoms such as fever, headaches, fatigue, and severe muscle and joint pain and there are no approved vaccines or antiviral treatments available.
- Chikungunya virus is spread to people by the bite of an infected mosquito.
- There is a risk the virus will be spread to unaffected areas by infected travelers.
- There is currently no vaccine to prevent or medicine to treat chikungunya virus infection.